The Nathaniel Crane House was built in 1818 by Captain Nathaniel Crane, Jr., Israel Crane’s cousin. In 1894, it was moved from the front to the rear of 108 Orange Road by Dr. James Henry Clark, Jr. to make way for his new residence (now known as the Clark House). During this time, the house apparently was no longer used as a residence. In fact, the smaller portion, likely a kitchen, was demolished right before being moved to the back of the property. It seems to have been used as an outbuilding that supported the Clark family occupancy, which lasted until 1962 when the Clark House property was purchased by the Sampson family.
In 1974, the Sampsons donated the Nathaniel Crane House to the Montclair Historical Society, but retained the Clark House as their residence. It was moved about seventy-five feet south in order to be located on the adjacent property of the recently relocated Israel Crane House.
Today, it houses a general store, much like the one that Israel Crane established in Montclair and an 19th century school room, complete with a dunce chair and hat!